[Samba] "net join" failed, but it still worked

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 14:32:58 MST 2015

Hello,

I am using AD authentication.  When I setup samba on my new server,
users could not access shares.  However, the following command "fixed"
the problem:

net join -U XXXXX\\cstankevitz

The command returned what appears to be an error:

kerberos_kinit_password XXXXX\cstankevitz at XXXXX.CORP failed: Client
not found in Kerberos database
Failed to join domain: failed to connect to AD: Client not found in
Kerberos database
ADS join did not work, falling back to RPC...
Unable to find a suitable server for domain XXXXX
Unable to find a suitable server for domain XXXXX

My questions:

1. Is this command returning an error?  And if so, why is it that
access is now allowed?

2. Will "net unjoin" undo the command?  If not, how do I undo it?

Thank you,

Chris