[Samba] Mac OS Mavericks über slow

Roel van Meer roel at 1afa.com
Wed Feb 4 08:09:41 MST 2015

Ralph Böhme writes:

> > >Samba 4.2 will ship a new VFS module that addresses this:
> > >vfs_fruit. It stacks with vfs_streams_xattr but takes care of the
> > >resource fork stream itself (on Linux: by saving it to a ._
> > >AppleDouble file).
> >
> > I can confirm that with Samba 4.2.0rc2, with vfs_streams_xattr
> > and vfs_fruit the time it takes to list a shared dir
> > with ~8000 files in it drops from 3m25s to 23s.
> > Tested with OSX 10.9.5.
>
> And this is just the beginning, once we have my AAPL patches in Samba,
> this should go down to a just few seconds.

A late followup question: since we work in a mixed Win/Mac environment: is
there a performance penalty or change in behaviour expected for Windows
clients if these two vfs modules are enabled? In other words; can I enable
them without any adverse effects for the Windows clients?

Thanks a lot (really looking forward to this),

Roel