[Samba] Domain function levels and extending ad scheme

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Feb 3 10:32:45 MST 2015

Hello Tim,

Am 03.02.2015 um 16:25 schrieb Tim:
> for now I am using Win2003 functional level of my domain.
>
> I just wanted to ask if I raise the level to 2008_R2 will the scheme be extended
> like this article says?
> https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd446680%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Samba is shipped with schema version 47 (Server 2008 R2):

# ldbsearch -H /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb -b
CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com -s base objectVersion
# record 1
dn: CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com
objectVersion: 47

# returned 1 records
# 1 entries
# 0 referrals

Even if you are at a lower forest level, the schema can already be
newer. In a Windows AD, you can also do an 'adprep' on Windows and lift
your schema to a newer version, but don't raise the forest level.

Just one more note: Samba currently only support schema version 47.
Newer AD schemas are not supported (yet) and if tried to install anyway,
it will break your AD.

Regards,
Marc