[Samba] Can't create users with RSAT - "An error occurred. Contact you system administrator"

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Mon Feb 2 09:44:53 MST 2015

Hello Andreas,

Am 02.02.2015 um 13:00 schrieb Andreas Hauffe:
> I set up a new AD with the Sernet Samba 4.1 packages. I did the provisioning
> with "samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --interactive". I checked the
> dc, ldap, kerberos and dns services under linux. Everything seems to work
> fine.
>
> Then I join a Windows 8.1 Enterprise running in as VM to the domain and login
> as administrator of the domain. When I install the RSAT and try to create a
> domain user I'm getting the error "An error occurred. Contact you system
> administrator". But I'm able to create groups and OUs.
> Under Linux the user creating is working. If I set the UNIX attributes for the
> group, I'm getting the hint "Execution denied" (translated from German).

I tried it in my test environment (4.1.16 self-compiled) from ADUC on
W8.1: Works without problems. Which account do you use to create the new
user and in which container? The Domain Admin has all required
permissions, of course.

What does the Samba logfile says in the moment you receive the error?
Maybe you have to increase the log level.

Regards,
Marc