[Samba] How to switch from internal DNS to Bind

James lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 19:48:09 UTC 2015

Hello,

     I'm attempting to switch from the internal DNS to Bind. This is for
my Samba test environment on a VM running Samba 4.3.1 on Ubuntu server
12.04.1. Installed Samba using all the defaults.

./configure
make
make install

Pulled up the wiki link

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Changing_the_DNS_backend#Changing_from_Samba_Internal_DNS_to_BIND_DLZ

Not sure if this is the correct start page. After the introduction I see
the link "Setup Bind". I figure I need to start there? So I click the
link and in the introduction I see another link for
"Setup_a_basic_BIND_installation". Maybe this is where I should begin? I
install BIND via. the repository.

apt-get install bind9

The wiki then says "*make sure that it was compiled with the
'--with-gssapi' and '--with-dlopen' options*". I check by using

named -V | grep "gssapi"

'--with-gssapi=/usr'

Is this sufficient or do I need the absolute path to
--with-gssapi=/usr/include/gssapi?

named -V | grep "dlopen"

Returns nothing.  Can I add these options after the fact or do I need to
uninstall and compile on my own before proceeding any further? Thanks.

--
-James