[Samba] Authentication to Secondary Domain Controller initially fails when PDC is offline

James lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 14:34:43 UTC 2015

On 12/28/2015 9:21 AM, Rowland penny wrote:
> On 28/12/15 14:06, James wrote:

>>> Hi Mathias, one of the problems with your setup, is that you seem to
>>> be running dns differently from what Samba (and for that matter,
>>> windows) recommends, you seem to be using a dns server that is not
>>> an AD DC.
>>>
>>> Normally to find a DC, you would ask the dns server that is
>>> authoritative for the domain, with a Samba AD domain this is usually
>>> a DC, and is identified by its SOA record, which is supposed to
>>> contain the authoritative name servers.
>>> Now, with a Samba domain, if you use the internal dns server, you
>>> only get *one*  authoritative name server even if you add the
>>> required records to the domain SOA. The net result is, if the first
>>> DC in the domain goes down, you don't have an authoritative name
>>> server. If you use bind9 instead of the internal dns server, each DC
>>> becomes authoritative for the domain after you add the required
>>> records to the domain SOA.
>>>
>>> As you are using bind9 (although in a non recommended way), each of
>>> your DCs will be authoritative as you have added the required records.
>>>
>>> When I get the time, I will create a bug report for this, this will
>>> probably be after Christmas though.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>

>> I'm using the internal DNS and I have all the necessary SRV records
>> for all my sites and DC's. They were created automatically by Samba.
>> You should have the following if missing.
>>
>> Forward Lookup
>> Zones/Domain_Name/_msdcs/dc/_sites/Default-First-Site-Name/_tcp
>> Forward Lookup Zones/Domain_Name/_msdcs/dc/_tcp
>>
>> You should have a SRV record for the following.
>>
>> _kerberos
>>
>> and
>>
>> _ldap
>>

> Ah, I think you are missing the point here James, yes you need all the
> SRV records etc that you refer to, but, from my testing, if you use
> the internal dns server, you will only have one authoritative
> nameserver for the dns domain, even if you add the NS & A records to
> the zone SOA.
> I cannot log into the second DC via ssh if I turn off the first DC,
> something that does work if I use the bind9 server.
>
> Rowland

Hello Rowland. I understand your point. You are correct. It's a issue
with the internal DNS.

I was under the impression that Mathias was missing SRV records for his
sites. I wanted to confirm that SRV records are created by Samba if
using the internal DNS. It appears he isn't using the internal DNS for
Samba which may be causing some confusion?

--
-James