[Samba] Windows 7 can't see Pi Samba server

DavidA dandbnews2 at talktalk.net
Fri Dec 18 19:46:00 UTC 2015

Hi

I'm still struggling with this problem.  Here is my situation:

I have two Windows 7 laptops, call them A and B, and a Raspberry Pi Samba
server on a home network, all with the same workgroup name.  The Pi's name
is RPHS.

A and B can see each other (their names appear under Network in Explorer on
both laptops).

Both A and B can access the Pi if I specify the IP Address in Explorer.

The Pi's name appears only in A (under Network).

On B, if I execute:

nbtstat -a RPHS

I get 'Host not found'.

(On A RPHS is resolved correctly).

I don't understand Windows networking well enough to debug this.  Should I
be using NetBios? Should I be using WINS?  If yes/no, how do I
enable/disable them?

I would greatly appreciate some help. I am close to pulling my hair out!

Best regards

David