[Samba] Authentication to Secondary Domain Controller initially fails when PDC is offline

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Thu Dec 17 15:48:40 UTC 2015

Am 17.12.2015 um 16:21 schrieb Rowland penny:
> On 17/12/15 14:46, Ole Traupe wrote:

>>> If you are sure that you now have all the dns records for both DCs
>>> in AD, then I would agree that this is probably not the issue (there
>>> is just the 0.1% chance you are still missing something)
>>>
>>> Can your domain members find the DCs ?
>>> Do your domain members have a FQDN ?
>>> Are they joined to the domain ?
>>> What have got in smb.conf on the domain members ?
>>>
>>> You may have posted all or some of this before, but lets start again.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>

>> Ok, there were still records missing (according to "samba_dnsupdate
>> --verbose"). I added them manually, and now I get "No DNS updates
>> needed" on both my DCs.
>>
>> Still/again: "kinit" takes more than a minute on member servers, and
>> login via ssh is impossible now (times out eventually).
>>
>> Some questions:
>>
>> - what about that corrupted record I mentioned earlier, how can I get
>> rid if it?
>
> Have you tried using samba-tool ?

That's what I posted earlier:

"I accidentally  created a record with a false port. I then updated the
port but was afraid of any consequences. So I deleted that record again
and wanted to re-create it. But I can't: "The record already exists."
Although I can't see it in the gui. And I also can't delete it (EDIT:
although this worked with the corresponding record for the 1st DC; so
the command is ok):

# samba-tool dns delete DC1 _msdcs.my.domain.tld
_ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs.my.domain.tld SRV "dc2.my.domain.tld 3268 0 100"
ERROR: Record does not exist

But it can be found with dig:

# dig @DC1 _ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs.my.domain.tld SRV

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.37.rc1.el6_7.4 <<>> @DC1
_ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs.my.domain.tld SRV
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs.my.domain.tld. IN SRV

;; ANSWER SECTION:
_ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs.my.domain.tld. 180 IN SRV 0 100 3268
dc1.my.domain.tld.
_ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs.my.domain.tld. 180 IN SRV 0 100 3268
dc2.my.domain.tld.

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: IP_of_1stDC#53(IP_of_1stDC)
;; WHEN: Thu Dec 17 13:28:06 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 103"

>> - why does "samba_dnsupdate --verbose" on DC1 check records only
>> against 1 instance (record from DC1), while the same command issued
>> on DC2 checks records against both existing instances (records from
>> DC1 and DC2)?
>
> Don't know, if you understand python, you could try looking at the
> script.

Does it behave the same way on your 1st (one check) and 2nd DC (two checks)?

>> - why does the dns update fail in the first place?
>
> I am not sure that it does fail. When you provision the first DC, all
> the required dns entries are added by the provision, but when you join
> a DC, a lot of the dns entries are only added by the samba_dnsupdate
> script and this is only run when you start samba on the newly joined
> DC. It does print a lot of error messages, but it seems to work anyway.
> If you check the dns on the first DC before starting the second, you
> will find missing dns entries, but these should be filled once the
> samba_dnsupdate script is run.

And this is what is not happening here. I can't say whether it is run
when samba restarts, but when run manually, it fails. That's why I
created the records by hand.