[Samba] Authentication to Secondary Domain Controller initially fails when PDC is offline

James lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 15:20:59 UTC 2015

On 12/17/2015 9:56 AM, Ole Traupe wrote:

> Am 17.12.2015 um 15:33 schrieb Rowland penny:
>> On 17/12/15 13:54, Ole Traupe wrote:
>>> Rowland, thank you, but before we do that:
>>>
>>> - what now with the 'gc' record? 2nd DC yes or no?
>>
>> Which one ? I have these:
>>
>> dn:
>> DC=_gc._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites,DC=samdom.example.com,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com
>>
>> dn:
>> DC=_gc._tcp,DC=samdom.example.com,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com
>>
>> dn:
>> DC=_ldap._tcp.gc,DC=_msdcs.samdom.example.com,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com
>>
>> dn:
>> DC=_ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gc,DC=_msdcs.samdom.example.com,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com
>>
>> dn:
>> DC=gc,DC=_msdcs.samdom.example.com,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com
>>
>> They all contain two dnsrecords, one from each DC
>>
>>> - if you say that the internal DNS is not compatible with a multi-DC
>>> setting, than we can stop here, no?
>>>

>> Please stop putting words in my mouth :-)
>>
>> All I said was that you will only get one NS record if you use the
>> internal DNS server,
>
> Ok. And do you *need* both?
>

>> everything else seems to work though, although I haven't tried
>> turning the first DC off yet.
>
> Why? I mean, could you perhaps? Please?
>

>> Rowland
>>
>>> Ole

I just disabled my DC that is listed as SOA in a production
environment.  I'm using the internal DNS. I have 6 DC's in total across
3 sites. Around 200+ users and 140+ workstations. Everything appears to
be working as normal aside from my monitoring tools going crazy. No
issues so far. I am not authenticating local users to my member server
however. I will monitor for a awhile and see if anything creeps up or I
start to get phone calls..

--
-James