[Samba] Authentication to Secondary Domain Controller initially fails when PDC is offline

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Dec 17 13:43:03 UTC 2015

On 17/12/15 13:25, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
>> Hi Ole, from my testing, if you are using the Samba internal DNS server,
>> you only have the one NS record pointing to your first DC, even if you
>> do add the NS record for the second DC. If you use Bind9 instead, you do
>> get two NS records.
>>
>> Rowland
>>

>> --
> [L.P.H. van Belle]
>
> Good info..
>
> So one thing for the wiki...
> internal dns => 1 NS record.
> Bind9 dns => 2 NS records.
>
> so single DC, internal DNS is sufficient.
> Multiple DC,s always go for bind9 dns.

Well, not yet, I need to get a patch added that will add the relevant
info to dns_update_list, so that samba_dnsupdate can add all the
required dns info when a new secondary DC is started for the first time.

I seem to have a problem getting patches past, I was advised that it
might be quicker using the new Github method, but this doesn't seem to
be true, I have seen faster glaciers. :-D

Rowland