[Samba] How can I change the localSID for a SAMBA Server?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Dec 17 10:42:05 UTC 2015

On 17/12/15 02:19, Byron Bogaert wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> I tried using Samba version 4.3 without much success. I still was not able
> to control what the local sid of the machine was.
>
> To install 4.3 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS I needed to use the following ppa:
> https://launchpad.net/~bnd-acc/+archive/ubuntu/samba43
>
> I also tried changing to the smb.conf to "SERVER ROLE = CLASSIC PRIMARY
> DOMAIN CONTROLLER on my 4.1.6 and 4.3 version. This also did not help me
> control what the local sid was.
>
> I feel like I'm some important fundamental elements of how the domain sid,
> and local sid are created, used and modified. Perhaps you or someone here
> can elaborate on this?
>
> Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett told you what to do, if I were you I would follow his
advice. upgrade your your machine to be a BDC and join it to the other
machine.
If you are unsure just who Andrew Bartlett is, I suggest you google his
name with the word 'samba'

What I think is happening: Samba is flat out refusing to change the
local SID to the SID of the other machine simply because then there
would be two workgroups with the same SID, how would it then be able to
tell which machine was which?

Rowland