[Samba] domain authentication issue after rebooting Debian Jessie - need to restart samba each time

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Dec 12 16:19:55 UTC 2015

On 12/12/15 15:04, Gimili wrote:

>> On Dec 11, 2015, at 12:27 PM, Rowland penny <rpenny at samba.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On 11/12/15 16:52, gimili wrote:
>>> I followed the instructions here: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller.'
>>>
>>> Everything works find except when I reboot I have to restart samba or I added a pause and then restart to /etc/rc.local otherwise the windows machines can't authenticate.
>>>
>>> I googled this problem but have not been able to figure out the solution.
>>>
>>> My OS is debian Jessie.
>>>
>>> Many thanks for any help/advice.
>>>
>> OK, I understand that you followed the wiki and you are using debian jessie, but just how did you install Samba, from distro packages or Sernet, or self compiled ?
>>
>> Rowland
>  From the distro packages.

OK, this means that you are running 4.1.17 and I think this is what is
happening:

When you install the samba package on jessie it installs the following
files in /etc/init.d

nmbd
samba
samba-ad-dc
smbd

It then runs 'update-rc.d xxxx defaults' and 'invoke-rc.d xxxx start'
where 'xxxx' is one of the filenames above, it does this for all the 4
files.

You then setup Samba as an active directory controller and so you only
need the 'samba-ad-dc' init file, this will start smbd. You do not need
the others, but they will still try to start at boot, so what I suggest
you do (and what I did) is to remove the ones you do not need.

update-rc.d -f nmbd remove
update-rc.d -f smbd remove
update-rc.d -f samba remove

You should check if the winbind package is installed, if it is, you
should also stop this being started at boot.

Reboot the DC, it should now just start the samba deamon via
/etc/init.d/samba-ad-dc, this will then start smbd.

Hopefully this should fix your problem, if it does, you can then remove
the unwanted init files:

rm -f /etc/init.d/ nmbd
rm -f /etc/init.d/ smbd
rm -f /etc/init.d/ samba

Note, if do this, you do it at your risk, it shouldn't damage anything
(well it didn't for me), you should also backup everything just in case.

Rowland