[Samba] Create Domain Trust Help Samba-4.3.2

Bob Thomas bthomas at cybernetics.com
Fri Dec 11 15:41:06 UTC 2015

First, Thank you all for this forum, as I am fairly new at both Ubuntu
and Samba I have found most the answers to my issues here.

Now correct me if I am wrong but Samba 4.3.2 should be able to support
Domain Trusts. If so maybe you can help me, here is what I have:

NT4 Domain: adc.com (Holds are production servers and user accounts for
that domain)

     Controller = enterprise.abc.com

Samba Domain: cy.abc.biz
     Two Controllers both Ubuntu 14.04 with Samba 4.3.2 running well (I
think):

     Controllers = pdc.cy.abc.biz & sdc.cy.abc.biz

I can ping "enterprise" from both samba controllers and I can ping "pdc"
and "sdc" from enterprise.

The two problems I have are first I am unable to create an Inter-domain
Trust Account:

####
root at PDC:/etc# net rpc trustdom add ABC password -U bthomas
Enter bthomas's password:
Could not set trust account password: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
###

and second with samba-tool I get:

#####
root at PDC:~# samba-tool domain trust create ABC -U bthomas
LocalDomain Netbios[CY] DNS[cy.abc.biz]
SID[S-1-5-21-3303530046-412607057-2209094731]
ERROR: Failed to find a writeable DC for domain 'ABC'
#####

Here is may smb.conf file:

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = CY
         realm = CY.ABC.BIZ
         security = USER
         passdb backend = samba_dsdb
         os level = 65
         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = Yes
         wins support = Yes
         winbind nss info = rfc2307
         allow dns updates = nonsecure and secure
         dns forwarder = 10.157.1.178
         server services = dns, s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
         rpc_server:tcpip = no
         rpc_daemon:spoolssd = embedded
         rpc_server:spoolss = embedded
         rpc_server:winreg = embedded
         rpc_server:ntsvcs = embedded
         rpc_server:eventlog = embedded
         rpc_server:srvsvc = embedded
         rpc_server:svcctl = embedded
         rpc_server:default = external
         winbindd:use external pipes = true
         idmap config cy:range = 10000-29999
         idmap config cy:schema_mode = rfc2307
         idmap config cy:backend = ad
         idmap config *:range = 5000-9999
         kccsrv:samba_kcc = false
         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         map archive = No
         map readonly = no
         store dos attributes = Yes
         vfs objects = dfs_samba4 acl_xattr

[netlogon]
         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/cy.abc.biz/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
         read only = No

##

My ultimate goal is to move totally off the NT Domain and onto the
Samba-AD-DC but I need the trust established first so I can go step by
test moving 18 productions servers one at a time so it can be tested.  I
feel it would be too risky to move everything at once.

Any help to get me going in the right direction would be greatly
appreciated.

Bob Thomas