[Samba] Naming Conventions

David Thompson david at digitaltransitions.ca
Wed Dec 9 15:30:54 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I have looked but cannot find if there is a way on a file share to control the naming convention of files.

I’d like if possible for a SAMBA file share to throw up an error if an end user tries to name any of their Word / Excel based files (or any files for that matter) with any of the following:

Tilde
Number sign
Percent
Ampersand
Asterisk
Braces
Backslash
Colon
Angle brackets
Question mark
Slash
Pipe
Quotation mark

I’m having an issue with Macs connecting to a file share and having an excel issues and opening files. I’d like to have the end file server add an error message when users try to name their files with any of the above characters if possible but I am unable to figure out where to do that. Is there a way to set this globally in smb.conf or even on a more granular share by share based configuration?

Thank you,

-----
dt

David Thompson