[Samba] Permission Denied

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 16:02:13 UTC 2015

On any Linux system where you want to be able to use AD users as system
users you need to configure PAM. This because it is PAM which discuss with
the tool you have chosen to retrieve users information from AD and then
build system users with these information.

I think you also need to configure PAM for file servers connected to some
domain (AD or NT4) for the underlaying system knows which user (system
user, ie uid, gid, groups...) access to some shared file, to grant or
refuse this access.

The short way to put it would be: to configure your system configure PAM,
without PAM configured only applications are configured: kinit could work,
net command too, wbinfo also... but not getent and so all application
relying to system side won't work (example from your first post: "id"
command rely on getent/PAM/nss/don't ask precisely and so won't work)

This can't be completely true as frontier between system and application is
more than fine (PAM is an app after all and a system could do what you want
it does without PAM configured -> a Samba DC without PAM configured can be
fully managed, just ACLs would lack beauty I expect).