[Samba] Samba4 ad dc with Centos7

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Dec 8 14:54:14 UTC 2015

I dont see the difference, i think its all how you interper it.
( sorry about the spelling errors.. )

For example
> wbinfo can get a whole list of all Samba users (I believe it can do that
> with AD or NT4 or standalone
Which is exact what i want.

> wbinfo does not show system users..
which is also exact what i want.

> wbinfo does not show system users, it
> shows Samba users which can become system users once they are transformed
> (with pam tools as winbind, sssd or nslcd).
Again exact what i want.

> I feel
> confusion (for me and for some users of that mailing list) between Samba's
> system users (users from Samba usable on system side, here the system it
> the one hosting Samba, the server system), Samba users (Samba internal
> users) and client system users (system users which access to the share).
> With domains there is also system users built from the domain (Windows
> system users SAMDOM\my-user or Linux user from AD/NT4 built with winbind

Yeah, that sucks.. wel, dont think in samba system users.

> Samba's system users (users from Samba usable on system side,
>here the system it
>the one hosting Samba, the server system),
>Samba users (Samba internal users) and
>client system users (system users which access to the share).

You have "local" users/groups, per server/client (adduser username)
You have "Domain" users/groups, per domain
You have "mapped users"  i call them.
And last, you have "local system users". ( UID lower than 1000 )

Based on this example :

        ## map id's outside to domain to tdb files.
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        idmap config * : range = 2000-9999
        ## map ids from the domain and (*) the range may not overlap !
        idmap config DOMAINNAME: backend = ad
        idmap config DOMAINNAME: schema_mode = rfc2307
        idmap config DOMAINNAME: range = 10000-3999999

A local user, any user UID lower than 2000

A domain user
idmap config DOMAINNAME : range = 10000-3999999

A mapped user, is a local user with its UID in the * range.
(idmap config * : range = 2000-9999 )

if you want any local users to be mapped to samba, change :
(idmap config * : range = 1000-9999 )

And i dont advice to map "local system users" to be mapped.

Any can access shares, but all depending on your setup.
I think you make an easy thing a hard one and probely due to the setup your having. I'm not saying you setup is bad or wrong, but maybe to complex or not well thought about. I spent about a year testing and configureing and testing for a good base setup, and here it all starts, i started at least 10 times over, because i forgot a "thing/process" running on a server and which users and/group should be able to access it.

Its pretty simple, only use "domain users" when when you have a domain.
And only use local users for local needs.
I only have 1 user on my linux server for administring the server.
And i gave also some of domain users access to a local server.
You can add an domain user to a local group if you setup is working correct.

System users are just to run processes/services on the server, and/or for Administering the server.

So sorry, but i dont see the problem your having.

I do the same in samba 4 as i did in samba 3 and more.
And this all looks to me normal.

But ...
i do agree, there should be more examples how things work with these users.
And some examples when you for example use a "mapped" user, of a local users etc.

Greetz,

Louis