[Samba] userid shows 4294967295

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Dec 7 16:27:50 UTC 2015

On 07/12/15 16:08, Nico De Ranter wrote:

> I'm coming from a Debian system so my system accounts are below 1000,
> regular accounts start at 1000. For some historical reason somebody
> gave our main group id 500 so therefor I want my usable range to start
> at 500.

Bad idea, you will probably need at least one local Unix user, where are
you going to put it. My advice would be to follow the Samba wiki and use
the numbers you will find there.

> Do I need both idmap config *:range and  idmap config SAMDOM:range?  I
> also tried with only 'idmap config *:range' but that didn't seem to
> help.  I'll try again tomorrow.

Yes you do, the first is for the builtin user & group mappings and the
second is for your AD users & groups.

> I also noticed that my second AD didn't have rfc2307 enabled so that
> may also have introduced some issues.

Not really, all the info should be in AD, you probably just need to add
'idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes' to smb.conf on the second DC.

Rowland