[Samba] Caching user accounts on a Linux portable

Nico De Ranter nico.deranter at esaturnus.com
Mon Dec 7 10:38:38 UTC 2015

I'm setting up a new Samba-based AD domain. The domain will be used to
authenticate access to both Windows and Linux desktops and portables.  When
a Windows portable is not able to access the AD servers (e.g. you are using
a portable outside of the office)  you can still happily logon using cached
credentials (as long as the user logged on the pc at least once before).
Is there a way to get the same behaviour on Linux?  I want my linux-laptop
users to be able to logon to their laptops even if they are not  connected
to the network.  I know I can add local accounts to /etc/passwd but that
kind of defeats the purpose of setting up an AD domain.

Nico

--
Nico De Ranter

Operations Engineer