[Samba] Linux & NFSv4 ACLs

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 04:35:36 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 01:37:33PM -0700, Nick Couchman wrote:

>> So, I don't see any shared library specifically for NFSv4 stuff, just the libattr dependency.  I'm guessing this is what you mean - that there isn't a shared library available with an API you could use in a Samba VFS module to abstract the calls for getting/setting the NFSv4 ACLs - you'd have to actually write the entire library inside the VFS module?
>
> Yep, that's exactly is. Internal to nfs4_getfacl
> source there's libnfs4acl/, which does what we need,
> but it doesn't get installed by 'make install'.

I did some work with this maybe.... 4 years ago now? If you recompile
the "nfs4-acl-tools" SRPM on CentOS or RHEL with the graphical options
enabled, you get a very helpful graphical tool for this. It can and
does work, but it can be very tricky to set all the relevant levels of
permissions. In the Linux NFSv4 world, they are *order sensitive*
settings, and do not map completely to NTFS style permissions.

But you can get close enough to call it jazz if you don't try to get
too clever with it.....