[Samba] Authentication to Secondary Domain Controller initially fails when PDC is offline

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 18:58:55 UTC 2015

To check which DC was used to connect on simply type "set" in MSDOS console
(cmd). Then look for a line which contain a DC name.

For Windows they should try to find a DC at logon time, according to their
IP address and AD sites configuration as explained earlier I think. This
process includes DNS SRV request to find LDAP server list and then LDAP
requests are sent to received SRV to find one working server, something
like one replying the quicker (that's a foggy notion for me :)

For Linux and kinit that should be based on DNS resolution and caching if
some. Now how kinit chose a Kerberos server from DNS I no real idea.
It is possible to force usage of one particular kerberos server forcing it
in some configuration file and then using that file in $KRB5_CONFIG
environment variable. At least you could use that to test if kinit works
when forced on the remaining server.

But that does not answer the question of failover for Linux parts :(