[Samba] How to set unix properties from command line

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 4 12:48:25 UTC 2015

On 04/12/15 11:52, Nico De Ranter wrote:
> Samba version: 4.1.17
>
> I want to use a Samba AD controller to manage access to both my Windows and
> Linux boxes.  I managed to import my old Samba users using pdbedit however
> as I want to use the new Samba AD controller to manage access to the Linux
> workstations too I want to configure Unix properties on all my accounts.
> Unfortunately I cannot find any command-line tool on Linux that will allow
> me to easily fill in these properties. I looked at samba-tool and pdbedit
> but they seem to be able to change only basic settings.  I know I can do it
> through RSAT but I don't want to have to start a Windows vm just to manage
> my users.
>
> How can I manage Unix properties for my Samba AD users from the
> command-line in Linux?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nico

well, if my patches ever get accepted, you will be able to do with
samba-tool what the Unix attributes tab on ADUC does. Until then, you
will have to resort to using a script to do this.

If your old setup was an NT4-style domain, you could have used the
classic-upgrade, this would have imported all of your old users & groups
along with all their RFC2307 attributes.

Rowland