[Samba] After joining domain, Samba uses the workgroup name, not the FQDN when running the net ads command

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 18:12:08 UTC 2015

On 01/12/15 17:27, Jonathan S. Fisher wrote:
>> It isn't running, one of the first things I do when setting up a new DC is
> to remove nscd if it is installed.
> Ah ok... well this isn't a DC, just a member... is NSCD ok to run as a
> member? Otherwise I can remove it.

I would remove it, everything dns wise should come from an AD DC

>> you get a caching dnsmasq server as standard
> Not on ubuntu server...  There is no dnsmasq package installed nor is it in
> ps -ef

Ah, so no GUI then, ok in this case you probably wont have Network
Manager installed either.

>> If you have to have that 127.0.1.1 line in /etc/hosts, you have dns
> problems.
> I'll try to figure out how to get the client to have a FQDN without the
> line in /etc/hosts

If this machine is going to be a fileserver, you would probably be
better using a fixed ip, but if you going to have other Unix domain
members using dhcp, you need to sort this problem.

> I really am starting to hate Active Directory...

I just hate microsoft, it cuts out the middle man :-D

Rowland