[Samba] After joining domain, Samba uses the workgroup name, not the FQDN when running the net ads command

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 16:27:23 UTC 2015

On 01/12/15 16:02, Jonathan S. Fisher wrote:
> Well I got one step farther...
>
> hostname -d and hostname -f now work correctly if I add this line to
> /etc/hosts
>
> /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1   localhost
> 127.0.1.1 freeradius.windows.corp.springventuregroup.com
> <http://freeradius.windows.corp.springventuregroup.com> freeradius
>
> But same error on the rpc command. It's still asking DNS for
> "_ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.WINDOWS" not
> "_ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.WINDOWS.CORP.XXX.COM
> <http://msdcs.WINDOWS.CORP.XXX.COM>"
>
> Can you do a tcpdump on yours and see what the desired behavior is? I
> used this command: "sudo tcpdump-vvv -s 0 -l -n port 53 -w dns.pcap".
> Start the dump, then run "sudo net rpc info -Uadministrator"

If you are using 127.0.1.1 in etc/hosts on Ubuntu, then you are using
dnsmasq.
If you are using dnsmasq, then it is unlikely your dns setup will find
the DC
Just a thought, is there a DNS server running on the AD DC ?
There should be and your client should be using this as its DNS server,
AD lives and dies on DNS.
There shouldn't be a dns server running on your domain member, it should
be using the AD dns server.

Rowland