[Samba] Classic upgrade - no email addresses

John Yocum jtyocum at uw.edu
Mon Aug 31 21:35:29 UTC 2015

On 08/31/2015 02:18 PM, John Gardeniers wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
> Perhaps I misled you with my wording. Each user has just one email
> address, which was not migrated across. From where I'm sitting that
> looks like a very serious bug.
>
> regards,
> John
>

> On 31/08/15 19:07, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On 31/08/15 07:27, John Gardeniers wrote:
>>> I've been running through a bunch of tests after migrating from
>>> Samba  > 3 to Samba 4 and only just noticed that the user email
>>> addresses >
>> didn't come across from openldap. Is this a know issue or is this an >
>> isolated case? > > regards, John > >
>>
>> It is not so much an issue but a problem, with openldap, the 'mail'
>> attribute can appear multiple times, with AD it is single valued. If
>> you have users with more than one email address, how is the upgrade to
>> know which is the main one, if in fact you refer to one as the main
>> one ? There is another attribute you can use to store email address
>> 'otherMailbox' , but you may be better off investigating mail servers
>> like zarafa that can authenticate via AD.
>>
>> Rowland

I know when I upgraded from Samba3 + 389, it didn't import mail, among
other attributes. So, I patched samba-tool to import a number of LDAP
attributes we were using: given name, surname, title, office number,
mailbox, email, phone, and fax.

https://gist.github.com/jtyocum/f19533448b94012d3722

Not sure if the patch will work on current versions of Samba4, I wrote
it for 4.1.9. No guarantees, warranty, etc. try at your own risk.

On Debian, apply with...

cd /usr/shared/pyshared/samba
patch -p0 </root/samba-tool-ldap-import.patch

--
John Yocum, Systems Administrator, DEOHS