[Samba] SMBx differences re Win10 in Samba4 NT4 DC

soonerdave soonerdew at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 17:12:41 UTC 2015

Given an existing NT4 Samba 4 DC, a recently upgraded Win10 machine can no
longer access NETLOGON to authenticate to the network. This lead to the
research revealing that my Samba4 PDC SMB.CONF must be changed to limit MAX
PROTOCOL = NT1 to avoid negotiating a version of SMB2 from Win10 that Samba4
can't resolve.

Doing this broke authentication via other resources that no longer support
NT1, so am I correct in inferring that the only option at this point to get
Win10 domain logins with a later version of SMB (greater than NT1) is by
upgrading the domain to a full Samba AD DC?

Lastly, could someone help me understand the subtlety between the dialect of
SMB2/SMB3 Samba supports versus the variety Win10 is trying to negotiate,
and why there is the disconnect? Put a different way, I don't understand
exactly why Win10/Samba can't negotiate down to an SMB level both can use
(well, one greater than NT1, I guess)