[Samba] Samba Internal DNS vs. BIND_DLZ

Jim Seymour jseymour at jseymour.com
Fri Aug 28 18:30:04 UTC 2015

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 14:41:09 +0200
L.P.H. van Belle <belle at bazuin.nl> wrote:

> Hai Jim,  (and Robert, saw your last post, read this also for samba
> with bind9_DLZ )
>
> i just search back in the post, and what i noticed was your first
> post.
> http://www.tiltingatlinux.com/2014/04/basic-samba4-domain-controler-on-ubuntu.html
> i went over this link ..
>
> This setup has some faults.
>
> sudo nano /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.1.1 pdc.mydomain.local pdc 	< remove this line.
> 10.0.0.5 pdc.mydomain.local pdc

Already done, but I hadn't created the sub-zone, yet.

> UUID=blahblahmoomoowhatnot  / ext4
> user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,errors=remount-ro,relatime 0 1 change that
> to UUID=blahblahmoomoowhatnot  / ext4
> defaults,barrier=1,errors=remount-ro,relatime 0 1

Done!

> apt-get install acl xattr

"xattr?"

$ apt-get install xattr
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package xattr

There are various "python-xattr" type things.

> mount -o remount -a
>
> sudo rm /etc/samba/smb.conf
> better sudo
> mv /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.ubuntu_original

I've a simple script I wrote, some time ago, called "save-orig."  It's
one of the first I ever drop on a new install.  It saves the named file
from your current directory to an identical path relative to /root.

> ntp is not linked to samba in that setup.
> So, that told..
>
> If you can read bash scripts, and if not, try, its not that hard.

Heh.  I've probably written more sh than most people have ever used ;)

> get this script if you use ubuntu 14.04..
> https://secure.bazuin.nl/scripts/4-jessie-samba-DC.sh
> read through it, it explains itself, i just didnt test it on ubuntu,
> but the basics are the same.
> Just keep the install order as in the script, thats most important.
> simple things can be changed like line 208
> debian:
> for x in 0 1 2 3 ; do     sed -i "s]server ${x}.debian]#server
> ${x}.debian]g" /etc/ntp.conf ;     done for ubuntu:
> for x in 0 1 2 3 ; do     sed -i "s]server ${x}.ubuntu]#server
> ${x}.ubuntu]g" /etc/ntp.conf ;     done
>
> etc. .
> all you need to know is in this script.
> try it, and i say, you wil have a perfect working samba 4 AD DC with
> bind9_DLZ.
[snip]

Thanks, Louis.  I've done some of the above.  "Purge"d what I already
had.  Will restart anew with your suggestions.

And those of the others, here.

Thanks, everybody, for your patient help!

Jim