[Samba] Samba Internal DNS vs. BIND_DLZ

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Aug 28 12:41:09 UTC 2015

Hai Jim,  (and Robert, saw your last post, read this also for samba with bind9_DLZ )

i just search back in the post, and what i noticed was your first post.
http://www.tiltingatlinux.com/2014/04/basic-samba4-domain-controler-on-ubuntu.html
i went over this link ..

This setup has some faults.

sudo nano /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 pdc.mydomain.local pdc 	< remove this line.
10.0.0.5 pdc.mydomain.local pdc

UUID=blahblahmoomoowhatnot  / ext4 user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,errors=remount-ro,relatime 0 1
change that to
UUID=blahblahmoomoowhatnot  / ext4 defaults,barrier=1,errors=remount-ro,relatime 0 1

apt-get install acl xattr

mount -o remount -a

sudo rm /etc/samba/smb.conf
better sudo mv /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.ubuntu_original

ntp is not linked to samba in that setup.
So, that told..

If you can read bash scripts, and if not, try, its not that hard.

get this script if you use ubuntu 14.04..
https://secure.bazuin.nl/scripts/4-jessie-samba-DC.sh
read through it, it explains itself, i just didnt test it on ubuntu,
but the basics are the same.
Just keep the install order as in the script, thats most important.
simple things can be changed like line 208
debian:
for x in 0 1 2 3 ; do     sed -i "s]server ${x}.debian]#server ${x}.debian]g" /etc/ntp.conf ;     done
for ubuntu:
for x in 0 1 2 3 ; do     sed -i "s]server ${x}.ubuntu]#server ${x}.ubuntu]g" /etc/ntp.conf ;     done

etc. .
all you need to know is in this script.
try it, and i say, you wil have a perfect working samba 4 AD DC with bind9_DLZ.

Greetz,

Louis