[Samba] Samba Internal DNS vs. BIND_DLZ

Jim Seymour jseymour at jseymour.com
Fri Aug 28 00:24:41 UTC 2015

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 16:23:57 -0400
Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> On 08/27/2015 04:18 PM, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
[snip]
> > If you're already having BIND running, you're just one step away
> > from including the AD DNS domain as additional domain via DLZ.
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_BIND_as_backend_for_Samba_AD#BIND_9.8_.2F_9.9
> >
> > What's wrong with that?
>
> It says:
>
> include "/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf";
>
> This file does not exist on my sernet 4.2 installation.
>
> In fact, I do not have a /usr/local/samba directory.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that different Linux distros tend to
put stuff in different places.  Whenever documentation from the
original/source project maintainer(s) refers to "/usr/local/...", you
can be assured they're talking about if you build and install their
package from the source tarball and that Linux distro people will put
stuff Somewhere Else, often a wildly different Somewhere Else.

samba_upgradedns told me where it would be, in my case.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is