[Samba] Samba Internal DNS vs. BIND_DLZ

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 20:37:28 UTC 2015

On 27/08/15 21:23, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> On 08/27/2015 04:18 PM, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
>> Hello Jim,
>>
>> Am 27.08.2015 um 21:49 schrieb Jim Seymour:
>>>      BIND would be the auth nameserver for example.com and delegate
>>>      the samdom.example.com zone to the Samba DNS running on the second
>>>      (virtual) interface
>>>
>>>      Samba is the auth nameserver for samdom.example.com
>> If you're already having BIND running, you're just one step away from
>> including the AD DNS domain as additional domain via DLZ.
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_BIND_as_backend_for_Samba_AD#BIND_9.8_.2F_9.9
>>

>> What's wrong with that?
>
> It says:
>
> include "/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf";
>
> This file does not exist on my sernet 4.2 installation.
>
> In fact, I do not have a /usr/local/samba directory.

It now also says (at the top):

As this HowTo is based around a compiled install, the PATHs refer to
'/usr/local/samba' as a base. If you are using packages from your OS or
Sernet, this PATH will most likely not exist, you will need to find the
relevant files on your system, try starting with '/var/lib/samba'.

I also use Sernet Samba 4.2.3 on one of my DCs and the required
named.conf is in /var/lib/samba/private/ , it is also in
/usr/share/samba/setup/ but called named.conf.dlz

Rowland