[Samba] Samba As PDC: Wrong Workgroup?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 19:03:21 UTC 2015

On 27/08/15 19:40, Jim Seymour wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 18:54:09 +0100
> Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> Well, there are couple of things I can see wrong, one on the howto
>> and one in your smb.conf, first the howto:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost
>> 127.0.1.1 pdc.mydomain.local pdc
>>
>> 10.0.0.5 pdc.mydomain.local pdc
>>
>> Change it to this:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost
>> #127.0.1.1 pdc.mydomain.local pdc
>>
>> 10.0.0.5 pdc.mydomain.local pdc
> I'd already done that, but thanks.
>
>> You are probably using dnsmasq, I would advise you to turn it off
> No, I'm not.  I'm running bind9.  The server is also the primary (only,
> actually) nameserver on the LAN.  (Or will be.)

OK, Ubuntu uses dnsmasq as standard, so unless you have turned it off in
NetworkManager.conf ( I think thats the right name) you are using dnsmasq.
Also if the smb.conf you posted is your actual one, then either you are
using bind flatfile (not recommended) or you are not using Bind, it
should have a line like this in it:

server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl,
winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate

>> Now your smb.conf
>>
>> dns forwarder = 127.0.0.1
>>
>> Change this to:
>>
>> dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8 # or any other external DNS server
>>
>> Lets see what happens once your DNS is correct.
> BIND is already set up to forward requests for zones for which it's not
> authoritative.

If you are using bind, then you do not need and shouldn't have the 'dns
forwarder' line

> I'm confused as to why any of that would affect how smbd advertises
> what workgroup it's in?

It doesn't and you are worrying about nothing, if you run the command on
any samba4 DC, you will get the same sort of answer i.e. this is the
bottom of one of my DCs

Domain=[EXAMPLE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.17-Debian]

     Server               Comment

     Workgroup            Master
     WORKGROUP

That howto you followed was incorrect when it was written, you do not
need to alter fstab, what it tells you add are actually the defaults for
ext4, the ntp settings are wrong, I could go on but I wont.

I would suggest you read the samba wiki:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

Rowland