[Samba] Samba As PDC: Wrong Workgroup?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 17:54:09 UTC 2015

On 27/08/15 18:38, Jim Seymour wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> I've searched and searched.  Then searched some more.  Came up with
> nothing.  So here I am.
>
> I installed Samba as a PDC as per the HowTo, here:
>
>      http://www.tiltingatlinux.com/2014/04/basic-samba4-domain-controler-on-ubuntu.html
>
> Thing is: The workgroup isn't coming out right:
>
>      $ smbclient -L localhost -U%
>      Domain=[MYDOMAIN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.6-Ubuntu]
>
>              Sharename       Type      Comment
>              ---------       ----      -------
>              IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.1.6-Ubuntu)
>              sysvol          Disk
>              netlogon        Disk
>      Domain=[MYDOMAIN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.6-Ubuntu]
>
>              Server               Comment
>              ---------            -------
>
>              Workgroup            Master
>              ---------            -------
>              WORKGROUP            MYHOST
>
> But:
>
>      $ cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
>      [global]
>              workgroup = MYDOMAIN
>              realm = mydomain.com
>              netbios name = MYHOST
>              server role = active directory domain controller
>              dns forwarder = 127.0.0.1
>
>      [netlogon]
>              path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/mydomain.com/scripts
>              read only = No
>
>      [sysvol]
>              path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
>              read only = No
>
> Can somebody lend me a Clue?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Well, there are couple of things I can see wrong, one on the howto and
one in your smb.conf, first the howto:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 pdc.mydomain.local pdc

10.0.0.5 pdc.mydomain.local pdc

Change it to this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
#127.0.1.1 pdc.mydomain.local pdc

10.0.0.5 pdc.mydomain.local pdc

You are probably using dnsmasq, I would advise you to turn it off

Now your smb.conf

dns forwarder = 127.0.0.1

Change this to:

dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8 # or any other external DNS server

Lets see what happens once your DNS is correct.

Rowland