[Samba] classicupgrade

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu Aug 27 17:11:09 UTC 2015

Hello Robert,

Am 26.08.2015 um 22:56 schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
> And trying to figure out what files I need.

You need the databased files, you're told to copy in the guide
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_domain_to_a_Samba_AD_domain_%28classic_upgrade%29#The_classicupgrade_process

> Note this is a totally NEW
> box, I need to copy over the needed files.

What means "totally new"? You mean it's a new installed OS, without any
running Samba installation? Then copy the files told in the guide.

> So do I move all of the .tdb files?  There are actually 2 secrets.tdb:
>
> /var/clearos/framework/tmp/secrets.tdb
> /var/lib/samba/private/secrets.tdb

Then you have to find out, which one samba uses. If this is on your old
host, where Samba is still running, try
# lsof | grep secrets.tdb

> Do I need to stop smb and nmb services on the old server before copying
> the files?  Going to rsync the files over.

You should stop samba on the old host before. Otherwise it could happen,
that things inside the databases change (e. g. user or machine password
changes, etc.) and you're doing the migration with an outdated database.

> What about the conf files in /etc/samba?  Do I need my old smb.conf?

Yes. But with a different name. It's also described in the Wiki guide.
Classicupgrade read some information required for the migration out of
it, like LDAP settings.

> Security on the old system is users (unix login, never really liked
> that).  Can I change that and to what?

It was never required, that that users are able to login locally to a
PDC or member server. Nor it is on an AD DC. But this has nothing to do
with 'security = user'

> I assume I need to have BIND set up first.  And DHCPD?

Just follow the guide. It was used on thousands of installations. It
tells you what to do in which order, so that it's working ;-)

DHCP is not part of AD. If you want to us it, just set it up, when ever
you want.

> Definitely need to fix some things on the box before I try the upgrade.

Before doing a migration, it's always a good idea to do this on a
separate test environment first.

Regards,
Marc