[Samba] sernet documentation

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 15:55:55 UTC 2015

On 27/08/15 16:14, Mark Foley wrote:
> Thanks for the info,
>
> At the moment, I don't have more than 1 DC, but I am planning on doing the bind
> master/slave thing thing soon using the Linux webserver host.  With failover, I
> don't see why that wouldn't work with multiple DCs (but of course haven't tried
> yet). In any case, our AD/DC also hosts mail and redirected folders do if it
> goes down we've got big problem anyway -- probably not going to attempt to
> create a redundant email/redirectedFolders host.
>
> I did try the bind9_DLZ early on when experimenting with AD/DC installation, but
> I couldn't get it to work. The only one that worked painlessly was
> BIND9_FLATFILE and I've experienced zero problems since.
>
> Yes, I've heard it is not a good idea to use .local, but I don't recall the
> Samba wiki docs saying that at the time.  The reason I did that was because I
> migrated the office domain to Samba4 from SBS 2008 and the Windows domain was
> called hprs.local (not initially set up by me).  So, not being an expert with
> either Samba4 or Small Business Server, I decided not to mess.  Plus, I had
> anticipated using OpenChange as the MTA (not!) and didn't know whether I had to
> keep such things the same.  Anyway, too late now.
>
> As to modifying the zone files with Samba/bind running, I don't use any tool to
> modify these. I just hand-edit. In fact, I didn't know there was such a tool.
> Since reading your message I've tried `samba-tool dns zonelist` and can't really
> make head-or-tails of it. Not convinced samba-tool would work on
> non-Samba-builtin DNS. I'm not really a DNS guru and I don't really know what it
> means to "freeze the zone first". Stopping Samba and bind first is rather simple.
>
> --Mark

Hi Mark, there is very little on samba wiki that says you must or must
not do this, that or the other :-)
What it does say, in a lot of places, is that this is not recommended. I
am sure if you were now setting up a new domain, you would seek advice
and use the best practice. Using .local was forced on you by someone
else, who probably used it because at one time microsoft said you could
use it, this was before mDNS and now they don't recommend using it :-)

As for using bind flatfile, well if it works for you, then ok, but using
dlz with bind is now the recommended way, but nobody is going to try to
force you to use it.

Rowland