[Samba] Chroot answer - Re: sernet documentation

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Aug 27 12:54:04 UTC 2015

> On 08/26/2015 05:56 PM, Mark Foley wrote:
>> I've been using bind9 and DHCP on Samba 4.1.0 thru 4.1.17 and
>> Slackware 64 14.1
>> for many months now in a production environment and it works just
>> fine.  There
>> are a few tweaks here and there to get bind/dhcp to play nicely with
>> Samba ...
>
> Do you run bind in chroot?

Buried in the wiki I found:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_BIND_DLZ_backend_with_secured_/_signed_DNS_updates

  * Do NOT run bind chrooted with a samba AD DC and make sure every
    thing has the correct privileges ..

Of course 'correct privileges' is open to interpretation....

Oh, also at:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_BIND_as_backend_for_Samba_AD

  Known issues and ways to fix/workaround

    Chroot BIND

If you use BIND as Backend for your Samba AD, it must not run chroot,
because it must be able to live access files and databases from your
Samba installation.

So it is well enough documented.  I just did not get to that part of the
documentation until this morning.