[Samba] sernet documentation

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Aug 27 06:37:42 UTC 2015

One thing nobody seems to mention.

This setup samba 4 + bind9_flate file setup works ok.. BUT
If you add a new DC, you will run in to problems..

bind9_flatefile setup is NOT multi master replication setup.
OK for 1 DC, but if you use more DC's, make sure you make your changes on the first dc.
setup a bind master/slave.. and for a dhcp server with failover setup,
which works also with samba4, but with restrictions.
If you need something like this i need to dig in my archive of setups..

I did more then a year ago, and my advice to Mark is, setup bind9_DLZ.
Much more flexible, and most important the multimaster replication.
which you really want..

when you provision.. --realm=hprs.local... DONT use .local.
this is a reserved name for Apple's mDNZ (zeroconf) ,
yes it does work, but better not. ( same for .lan )

>> Important note!!! I've found that samba and DNS must be NOT
>RUNNING when you add
>> these statis IP to the zone file. Otherwise, they seem to
>>get clobbered/removed.
then you did something wrong, or you did not use the correct programs to add it.
like samba-tool or you did not freeze the zone first.
when you run in bind9_flatfile, do not manualy change the zonefiles used by samba.

Greetz,

Louis