[Samba] FW: Questions about Samba 4

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 22:01:40 UTC 2015

On 26/08/15 22:31, John Yocum wrote:
> On 08/26/2015 02:21 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> Yep :-(.

>>> Yeah, that doesn't help :-).

>>> OK, no problem. Rebuilding with -g is what is needed here.
>>>
>>> The other thing that helps is to attach to the process
>>> using strace,
>>>

>>> # strace -p WINBINDD_SPINNING_PID
>>>
>>> - which should give a looping amount of system call
>>> output which would also be helpful.
>> OK, I have downloaded the source and looking at debian/rules file (which
>> seems to have been written by someone called Jelmer Vernooij (where have
>> heard that name before ?)) I think I need to add '--enable-debug' to the
>> 'conf_args' list, but there is also this:
>>
>> override_dh_strip:
>>          # add debug symbols for all samba packages to the same debug
>> package
>>          dh_strip -a --dbg-package=samba-dbg
>>
>> Do I need to do anything with this ?
>>
>> Rowland
>>

> Install the "samba-dbg" package. It contains the debug symbols. Once
> installed, restart winbind, and try using gdb again.

Thanks for the hint, but it didn't work, still got lots of '(no
debugging symbols found)' and the same result as before. What I did
notice was when I tried 'strace -p WINBINDD_SPINNING_PID' I only got
'Process 3980 attached'
in the output and the 'WINBINDD_SPINNING_PID' dropped out of the 'top'
screen, does this mean anything ?

Anyway, I will rebuild samba tomorrow and try again.

Rowland