[Samba] FW: Questions about Samba 4

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 21:21:15 UTC 2015

On 26/08/15 22:13, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 09:46:48PM +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>> ... stuff I'm interested in...
>>>
>>> Then paste the "... stuff I'm interested in..."
>>> output into the bug report.
>>>
>>> I'm assuming winbindd has been built with -g (DEBUG)
>>> turned on.
>> OK, does '(no debugging symbols found)' mean what I think it means ?
>> i.e. winbindd wasn't built with -g
> Yep :-(.
>
>> ... stuff I'm interested in... is just:
>>
>>   (gdb) bt
>> #0  0x00007f8d0cf0b12f in ?? ()
>> #1  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
>> (gdb)
> Yeah, that doesn't help :-).
>
>> If this is what you are looking for I will add it to the bug report
>> 11038, if not, I will have to download the src deb for winbindd and
>> rebuild it with -g , but this will have to wait until tomorrow.
> OK, no problem. Rebuilding with -g is what is needed here.
>
> The other thing that helps is to attach to the process
> using strace,
>

> # strace -p WINBINDD_SPINNING_PID
>
> - which should give a looping amount of system call
> output which would also be helpful.

OK, I have downloaded the source and looking at debian/rules file (which
seems to have been written by someone called Jelmer Vernooij (where have
heard that name before ?)) I think I need to add '--enable-debug' to the
'conf_args' list, but there is also this:

override_dh_strip:
         # add debug symbols for all samba packages to the same debug
package
         dh_strip -a --dbg-package=samba-dbg

Do I need to do anything with this ?

Rowland