[Samba] sernet documentation

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 20:53:15 UTC 2015

On 26/08/15 21:46, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> On 08/26/2015 04:28 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> Plowing through the wiki...
>>>
>>> I see where if I use the internal DNS provided, I will have to set
>>> up a forwarder.  No problem, I have done that a lot.  But I plan on
>>> using a private tld, htt. and the zone home.htt.  I want these zones
>>> known to other systems on my network, so I want to slave them to my
>>> main DNS internal servers (I actually have a production and 2
>>> distinct test DNS servers).  Perhaps I will find in the wiki how to
>>> do this, or find my old notes.
>>>
>>> Are workstations assigned DNS entries when they get their DHCP
>>> lease?  So that 'den' becomes den.home.htt and diningroom becomes
>>> diningroom.home.htt?  That is what I would think DYNDNS would be
>>> doing.  Of course the file servers, nevia and vega would be
>>> nevia.home.htt and vega.home.htt?  But since these are statically
>>> assigned, again, I am assuming there are ways to get them into the
>>> internal DNS.
>>
>> Unless things have changed, DHCP doesn't work with the samba internal
>> DNS server, it does however work with the Bind9 DNS server, I have
>> been using it since Dec 2012 on my home network 192.168.0.0/24 with
>> the domain name of home.lan. To get the domain name applied to the
>> clients, you just have to set them to ask for it and the DHCP to send
>> it. As for the static clients, you can use samba-tool to add these.
>
> I will ask a separate question on classicupgrade.  From this it sounds
> like I need to put bind on this system.  C7 has 9.9.4
>
> I have not used the DLZ function, or at least not knowingly :) What is
> one more thing to pick up!

It is not hard to pick up, it is just a matter of one file basically and
all the info is on the wiki except for the DHCP setup and as I said, I
can help you with this.

As for the classicupgrade (which you called migrate and this was what
threw me) again all the info is on the wiki.

>>> Finally I am testing on one RFC1918 subnet (check out the authors of
>>> 1918) and then will move all the servers to another one.  what will
>>> I need to do for this migration?
>>>

>> What do you need to migrate ? if you set the first DC in a domain and
>> then add another DC, all the AD database will be replicated to it.
>
> ClearOS PDC (samba 3.6.23) on an Intel platform to Sernet Samba 4.3 on
> Centos7-arm.
>

>> PS: you wouldn't be the B. Moskowitz from RFC would you ? (if you
>> are, sorry but until this post, I had never heard of you :-)     )
>>
> One in the same.  One of my claims to notoriety.  You can blame me for
> nats and the delays in moving to IPv6.

As I don't use IPV6, I am not going to blame you for anything :-)

Rowland