[Samba] sernet documentation

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Aug 26 20:46:27 UTC 2015

On 08/26/2015 04:28 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 26/08/15 21:07, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

>>> Could you be a bit more specific, you can use Bind with samba4 but
>>> it is up to the sysadmin to set this up, though there is a page on
>>> the samba wiki. DHCP, again the sysadmin will have to set this, but
>>> there is not much on the wiki about this, but if all else fails, I
>>> can help with this. Finally, I don't see where DYNDNS comes in here.
>>
>> Plowing through the wiki...
>>
>> I see where if I use the internal DNS provided, I will have to set up
>> a forwarder.  No problem, I have done that a lot.  But I plan on
>> using a private tld, htt. and the zone home.htt.  I want these zones
>> known to other systems on my network, so I want to slave them to my
>> main DNS internal servers (I actually have a production and 2
>> distinct test DNS servers).  Perhaps I will find in the wiki how to
>> do this, or find my old notes.
>>
>> Are workstations assigned DNS entries when they get their DHCP
>> lease?  So that 'den' becomes den.home.htt and diningroom becomes
>> diningroom.home.htt?  That is what I would think DYNDNS would be
>> doing.  Of course the file servers, nevia and vega would be
>> nevia.home.htt and vega.home.htt?  But since these are statically
>> assigned, again, I am assuming there are ways to get them into the
>> internal DNS.
>
> Unless things have changed, DHCP doesn't work with the samba internal
> DNS server, it does however work with the Bind9 DNS server, I have
> been using it since Dec 2012 on my home network 192.168.0.0/24 with
> the domain name of home.lan. To get the domain name applied to the
> clients, you just have to set them to ask for it and the DHCP to send
> it. As for the static clients, you can use samba-tool to add these.

I will ask a separate question on classicupgrade.  From this it sounds
like I need to put bind on this system.  C7 has 9.9.4

I have not used the DLZ function, or at least not knowingly :)  What is
one more thing to pick up!

>> Finally I am testing on one RFC1918 subnet (check out the authors of
>> 1918) and then will move all the servers to another one.  what will I
>> need to do for this migration?
>>

> What do you need to migrate ? if you set the first DC in a domain and
> then add another DC, all the AD database will be replicated to it.

ClearOS PDC (samba 3.6.23) on an Intel platform to Sernet Samba 4.3 on
Centos7-arm.

> PS: you wouldn't be the B. Moskowitz from RFC would you ? (if you are,
> sorry but until this post, I had never heard of you :-)     )

One in the same.  One of my claims to notoriety.  You can blame me for
nats and the delays in moving to IPv6.

As some people know, I dabble here and dabble there...