[Samba] Resetting default permissions on share

James lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 13:33:27 UTC 2015

On 8/25/2015 1:28 AM, Mark Foley wrote:
> Don't know if this helps or not, but if the original permission were correct,
> how about just restoring them after re-creating the directory?
>
> I save both ATTRs and ACLs (perhaps the problem is that you're missing attr
> settings?)
>
> getfattr -dR /var/lib/samba/sysvol /var/lib/samba/share >/backupATTR.txt
>
> getfacl -R /var/lib/samba/sysvol /var/lib/samba/share > /backupACL.txt
>
> Or, possibly use Windows Explorer > Properties > Security, to set permissions --
> which is what I did when initally creating my \\server\share folder.
>
> --Mark

I found part of my mistake. I forgot I had the following in my share.

        vfs objects = recycle
        recycle:repository = .recycle
        recycle:keeptree = yes
        recycle:versions = yes

Removing these lines and running my prior commands, the NTFS permissions
were set back to default. However I still see modifications to my share
permissions. I will manually modify these settings but it would be nice
to reset these as well with a command.

--
-James