[Samba] Some questions

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Aug 23 16:10:38 UTC 2015

After years of delays and side trips, I really am going to dive in and
build my own Samba server.  And I have a few questions.

All of my servers will be ARM.  The main hardware will be Cubieboards (2
and truck).  They will be running Centos-7 once the development is
finished.  For now I am using Fedora 22 arm.  My backup file server will
be a pogoplug (armv5) with Redsleeve 7.1.

My current environment is ClearOS with a handful of XP systems with
roaming profiles.  Of course this is an Intel server.

So on to some questions...

I am reading an old how to I pulled a year?  ago:

WIP_Beginner HowTo - SOHO business server - SambaWiki.html

And it says IPv6 not supported.  Well time has flown, and I really want
IPv6 support.  Can I ignore the turning off of IPv6 as instructed?  Oh,
samba versions in the repos are:

Fedora 22 arm:                     4.2.2-1
Redsleeve 7.1:                      4.1.12-23
Centos 7.1 arm pre-alpha:    4.1.12-21

So since I don't want to run a Fedora samba server for production, I
should stay with 4.1 functionality.

With the cost of Cubieboards, I will have one for the domain controller
and at least one for files (plus the pogoplug for backup server).

So on with the meat of things.

I can use tools on the Fedora 22 build to do an initial build and then
copy them to the Centos/Redsleeve builds (which will not have a GUI
desktop).  With Fedora I am using Xfce (this IS arm afterall).

Is there a more recent set of instructions with such things as IPv6 support?

Should I go with the rpm distributions or sernet?  Will sernet build on
armv7 and armv5?

My domain is htt-consult.com, and it is really no problem to create a
subdomain of home.htt-consult.com.  But I would really like to run my
domain as home.htt as I do with ClearOS right now and I did some time
back with Amahi.  Other than setting up the TLD of .htt (which I have
done), is there anything of note?

What is the opinion on BIND/DHCPD vs DNSMASQ?  I have lots of experience
with BIND and can get around DHCPD.  For DNSMASQ, I would have to copy
something else (like the conf from my current server).

Initially there will only be XP systems with roaming profiles.  I will
be adding Windows7, which I really do not have any experience with to
know if anything list roaming profiles exist by that or any other name.

Thank you for your time.