[Samba] Samba 4.2.3

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Wed Aug 19 17:57:21 UTC 2015

Am 19.08.2015 um 19:51 schrieb Nitin Pande:
> Thanks for the reply. I didn't provisioned the server via samba-tool.
> I just copied the smb.conf.default file from the example section to
> the /etc/samba and renamed it to smb.conf. We don't want to set up
> the machine as AD, just want to share the folder so that it can be
> accessed from windows 2012 machines.

Was this file shipped with Ubuntu packages?

> I tried to comment the above mentioned line server role = standalone
> server and tried stopping and starting the samba service, but same
> result. No change in the error message. Nor am I able to connect to
> the shared folder.

Just to make sure, that you followed what the log entry told you did
wrong: You started now the 'smbd' binary - not 'samba', right?

If you start via init script/systemd, please check out what binary is
started. If unsure, check the 'ps' output or run 'smbd' manually, to
make sure, that not the 'samba' binary is executed.

Regards,
Marc