[Samba] Internal DNS and recursion

Yuriy Tabolin tabolin at speechpro.com
Wed Aug 19 09:34:53 UTC 2015

19.08.2015 11:43, L.P.H. van Belle пишет:
>>> While on the subject of internal DNS, why do most functions not work
>>> when using the RSAT DNS management tool? Is this situation likely to
>>> improve in the near future? We could of course use external Bind,
>>> which would allow us to use the existing scripts and commands that
>>> we're used to, but that breaks the use of AD tools.
>> No idea about the dns functions not working but I use Bind and the AD
>> dns tool works for me.
>>
>> Rowland
> Same here, samba 4.2.3 with bind dlz, just added about 100 entries with the win7 RATS tools in the dns.
> Works great.
A basic tasks works great, I agree. But there are examples what doesn't
works with samba internal DNS:
1. Scavenging. There is the error "This function is not supported on
this system"
2. Conditional forwarders. The same error as above.
3. Creating a true static records. When I create any static record it
has timestamp and option "Delete this record when it become stale". In
true Active Directory static records has timestamps "static" and cannot
accidently deletes.
It is only that I remembered. When I thoroughly studied samba4 DNS, I
found more functions that doesn't works.