[Samba] Powerpoint 2007 will not advance slides when saved on a Samba share

kevin.hall at hallictservices.co.uk kevin.hall at hallictservices.co.uk
Mon Aug 17 13:15:42 UTC 2015

I have a linux workgroup server which is now running Opensuse 13.1 with Samba
version 4.1.19-3.36.1-3442-SUSE-oS13.1-x86_64. My latest update to try and
resolve this issue.

With Powerpoint 2003 everything worked as expected. With Powerpoint 2007, slides
will not advance unless the file is saved locally on the client. The client has
been Windows XP, Windows Vista and now Windows 7 64. All updates have been
installed on the clients and the server.

Here is the relevant part of my smb.conf:

# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the
# samba-doc package is installed.
# Date: 2007-02-08
[global]
    netbios name = machine no 16
    passdb backend = smbpasswd
    server string = KS2 Server
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    printcap cache time = 750
    cups options = raw
    domain logons = no
    domain master = no
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    os level = 65
    security = user
    wins support = yes
    name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast

[shared]
    comment = shared folder
    path = /disk2/sharedwork
    readonly = no
    create mask = 0775
    directory mask = 0775
    hide files = /~*.*/

I know it is not advisable to have spaces in the netbios name but it is a long
story and apart from this Powerpoint issue, everything else works as expected.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you