[Samba] Samba 3 with LDAP vs. Windows 10 - I KNOW SAMBA3 IS DEPRECATED, BUT COULD BE INTERESTING :)

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 12:42:03 UTC 2015

On 13/08/15 12:51, Marcel Ebbrecht wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> after some days of intensive google-work I didn't find a solution for
> joining Windows 10 Clients (release version) to Samba 3.6.6 LDAP based
> NT Domain.
>
> I know, that I should switch to Samba4 but we got hundreds of scripts,
> services, devices and other stuff (our coffeemachine estimates the
> preferred strength for each user ... mission critical ;) ) that use the
> ldap service for nearly anything so the migration is a little bit more
> work than just install a apackage and migrate the tree... and until this
> issue with joining domain with windows 10 we dont need it ...
>
> When I try to join the Domain, the clients tries to contact our ldap
> daemon on udp/389:
>
> tcpdump:
> 12:38:24.823478 IP hugo.foo.bar.56137 > dc1.foo.bar.ldap: UDP, length 150
>
> according to
> http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/201303/msg00222.html
> this is problematic ...
>
> Has anyone a nice workaround for that problem ? In other words: Is
> anyone here who joined a Samba3/LDAP based domain with windows 10 ?
>
> Greetings

Don't know, but you might find it easier to use a Samba4/LDAP based
domain with windows 10, though thinking about it, I seem to think I read
something about windows 10 not being able to connect to an NT4-style domain.

But just in case it will work, I will say this again, but louder, YOU
CAN USE SAMBA4 JUST LIKE SAMBA3, YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT FOR AN AD DOMAIN!

Rowland