[Samba] Samba 3 with LDAP vs. Windows 10 - I KNOW SAMBA3 IS DEPRECATED, BUT COULD BE INTERESTING :)

Marcel Ebbrecht m.ebbrecht at dortmundit.de
Thu Aug 13 11:51:16 UTC 2015

Hi Folks,

after some days of intensive google-work I didn't find a solution for
joining Windows 10 Clients (release version) to Samba 3.6.6 LDAP based
NT Domain.

I know, that I should switch to Samba4 but we got hundreds of scripts,
services, devices and other stuff (our coffeemachine estimates the
preferred strength for each user ... mission critical ;) ) that use the
ldap service for nearly anything so the migration is a little bit more
work than just install a apackage and migrate the tree... and until this
issue with joining domain with windows 10 we dont need it ...

When I try to join the Domain, the clients tries to contact our ldap
daemon on udp/389:

tcpdump:
12:38:24.823478 IP hugo.foo.bar.56137 > dc1.foo.bar.ldap: UDP, length 150

according to
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/201303/msg00222.html
this is problematic ...

Has anyone a nice workaround for that problem ? In other words: Is
anyone here who joined a Samba3/LDAP based domain with windows 10 ?

Greetings

--
Marcel Ebbrecht <m.ebbrecht at dortmundit.de>