[Samba] Questions about Samba 4

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 07:37:05 UTC 2015

On 13/08/15 02:55, Marcio Demetrio Bacci wrote:
> I implemented a domain Samba 4, but I have the following questions:
>

> 1) Primary DC (DC 1)
> Do I need to Install winbind?

Install, no, it is already installed by the very fact of being a DC. If
you mean do I have to manually use winbind on a DC, only if you want
your users to log into the DC directly and this is not recommended.

> 2) Secondary DC (DC 2)
> Do I need to install the NTP server?

Have to, no, but it is recommended that you do, what happens if your
other DC goes down ?

> 3) Ubuntu 14 Workstations
> What are the packages needed to join the station in the domain?

I normally install these:

samba samba-vfs-modules samba-common-bin samba-common samba-libs
libwbclient0 samba-dsdb-modules libnss-winbind smbclient libpam-winbind
libsmbclient winbind krb5-config libpam-krb5 krb5-user ssh-krb5 ntp
ldb-tools zip arj mktemp acl attr quota

Rowland