[Samba] Error

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Aug 12 15:14:31 UTC 2015

Am 12.08.2015 um 17:07 schrieb Rowland Penny:
> On 12/08/15 15:54, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> Er, no, if you open a terminal, type 'env', then amongst the output
>>> there will be a line that starts with 'PATH'. This is the order in which
>>> to check for an executable, it need to start like this:
>>>
>>> PATH=/usr/local/samba/sbin:/usr/local/samba/bin:~~~~~ and so on.
>>> To change it, type 'export
>>> PATH=/usr/local/samba/sbin:/usr/local/samba/bin:$PATH'
>>>
>>> This will set it for the current session, your homework is to find out
>>> how to set it permanently :-D
>>
>> in case of a sysvinit script there
>> export PATH=........
>>
>> in case of a systemd-unit
>> Environment="PATH="
>>
>> and in case he is using systemd /usr/local is most likely *not* in
>> PATH because systemd cleans up environment vars by default for good
>> reasons
>>
> Yet another reason not to use systemd, what has something that claims to
> be an init system to do with a users PATH ??

no, it's a reason to use systemd
you have a clean environemt

"users PATH" is nonsense, it's the env-var of the SERVCIE which is most
likely not the same as for your user and you have a deterministic place
to set it - with sysvinit you expose a ton of env-vars to services

with systemd you don't see all that stuff in example phpinfo() and so
don't leak informations

if people would learn to build packages for their software it would not
be a topic, all my packages overriding distribution packages are just
using default install paths and a higher rpm-epoch to not get
overwritten by regular updates