[Samba] Cannot change directory permissions

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 12:31:05 UTC 2015

On 07/08/15 13:12, Felix Matouschek wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
> sorry, I hit the wrong reply button in the last answer.
>
> So there is no other way than to use Windows ACLs?
> I was told with our old systems (Samba 3 in non-domain mode) the behaviour I want to achieve was possible when only using ugo.

You can use Unix permissions, but 'Domain Admins' would have to be know
to the underlying Unix OS i.e. 'getent group Domain\ Admins' would have
to return something. The only way to do this would be to give Domain
Admins a gidNumber. There is however a sting in the tail if you do this,
you should expect mixing Unix Permissions and windows ACLs to give you
problems, you should use either Unix permissions or windows ACLs, not a
mixture of both.
The old samba 3 systems worked in a different way, there was usually a
mapping of local Unix users and groups to samba users and groups, this
meant that there was a user or group that could be set on a file or
directory.

I would suggest, as there are windows machines involved, you only use
windows ACLs, once the initial setup is done, everything can be done
from windows.

Rowland