[Samba] Hardware decisions

jolly eissucht jollyeissucht at web.de
Sat Aug 1 17:09:16 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm not sure if my email was posted on the list samba at lists.samba.org so
I post it again. If it was already posted I apologize.

KR, jolly

Betreff: 	Hardware decisions
Datum: 	Thu, 30 Jul 2015 17:38:31 +0200
Von: 	jolly eissucht <jollyeissucht at web.de>
An: 	samba at lists.samba.org

Hello,

I'm planning to use samba 4 on debian jessie. In my environment are
approx. 50 clients (windows 7). Maybe later some linux mint clients as
well.... also about 5 hp Network printers....

Now i' m not quite sure which hardware I should use for samba 4 primary
dc and recommended secondary dc and file server which all should reside
on different hardware as recommended. Should I use stronger hardware for
the file server? What about the backups? Where should I store the backups?

I got the following hardware:
2 server PCs with the following configuration - they are exactly the
same Hardware:
4 disk drives with 1000gb each (sata), at the moment confugured in raid
1, 4gb Ram, about 6 years old

1 server PC with 1 disk drive with 100gb (still ide), 1gb Ram, about 10
years old

network is max. 100mbit/s...

Where would you install primary dc, secondary dc and file server? Where
the backup?

Thanx in advance for recommendations...

KR, jolly

Also I' m able to configure samba 4 on debian wheezy. If there are
special things to consider on debian jessie and you know tutorials I'm
happy about links.... do you use sernet packages samba 4 on debian
jessie or just samba 4 that comes with Debian jessie?

--
Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android Mobiltelefon mit WEB.DE
<http://WEB.DE> Mail gesendet.

samba-request at lists.samba.orgschrieb:

    mailing lists other than samba-announce generate a large volume of
    messages. If you think you will only read the lists infrequently, it
    may be better to read them in the archives or through a news server.
    This will save bandwidth for yourself and samba.org, and will save
    filling up your email inbox.

    We strongly recommend this for people using cryppy webmail services: a
    few days traffic on the samba lists can be enough to completely fill a
    free mailbox, causing you to lose other messages.

    samba at lists.samba.org

    subscription page at:

    https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba/jollyeissucht%40web.de

    samba-request at lists.samba.org

    You must know your password to change your options (including changing
    the password, itself) or to unsubscribe without confirmation. It is:

    waozkueg

    Normally, Mailman will remind you of your lists.samba.org mailing list
    passwords once every month, although you can disable this if you
    prefer. This reminder will also include instructions on how to
    unsubscribe or change your account options. There is also a button on
    your options page that will email your current password to you.